Are you new to playing ukulele?
Hi, I’m Brett McQueen, the founder of Ukulele Tricks and author of Ukulele Exercises For Dummies. And I’m going to show you how to play ukulele… even if you’ve never played an instrument in your life.
You can learn to play ukulele, even if you’ve never played an instrument in your life, but you can’t do it alone.
I’m here to help by giving you the best lessons that have helped over 50,000 ukulele players learn to make music for the time.
On this page, you’ll find:
- Where to Start If You’re a Brand New Ukulele Player
- Introductory Ukulele Lessons
- Chords and Strumming Lessons
- Fingerpicking Lessons
- Music Theory Lessons
- Scales Lessons
- Performance and Practice Tips
- Christmas Song Lessons
Where to Start If You’re a Brand New Ukulele Player
The fastest and easiest way to learn how to play ukulele is with the right steps.
Get started on the right note and get the free four-lesson course Learn to Play Ukulele today where you learn your first four songs on the ukulele with small, easy steps and fourteen bite-sized video lessons.
In the lessons, you’ll pick up some new tricks like:
- How to properly tune, hold, and strum your ukulele
- The most essential “must-know” ukulele chords
- How to play 3 extremely versatile strumming patterns
- How to play four memorable ukulele songs
To get the four lessons delivered to your inbox, just enter your email below:
Please note: I take your privacy very seriously. I promise never to spam you or distribute your email to a third party.
“Thank you so much for these wonderful lessons. I have been inseparable from my (new to me) ukulele and am beyond thrilled that these lessons are allowing me to learn how to properly play it. I can tell that this relationship with my ukulele is going to be a lifelong bond. I can’t wait until I am experienced enough to play and sing songs to my 3 children. They have, thankfully, been enjoying the (nearly nonstop) strumming and lovely sounds being produced by my beloved new little friend. And that is thanks to you.”
– Lydia C., Student
If you’re not ready to join me there, then, scroll down for more ukulele lessons from the Ukulele Tricks blog below to see all you can learn.
Start here if you’re a beginner ukulele player.
- How to Play Ukulele: The Ultimate Guide to Learn to Play Ukulele Today
- Ukulele Tuning: The Ultimate Guide For How to Tune Your Ukulele
- Ukulele Anatomy: Parts of the Ukulele
- All About Ukulele Sizes: Soprano, Concert, Tenor & Baritone
- Learn to Play Your First Four Ukulele Chords For Beginners
- 5 Effective Strumming Patterns for Beginners
Chords & Strumming Lessons
Discover how to make chords easier to play and how to strum the ukulele.
- 3 Best Ways to Play the E Major Chord on Ukulele
- 5 Different Ways to Play a C Major Chord on Ukulele
- 7 Quicks Tips to Improve Your Barre Chords on Ukulele
- 11 Must-Know Ukulele Chords for Beginners
- Finding an Easier Way to Play a Bb Chord on Ukulele
- How to Fix Buzzing Ukulele Chords With One Easy Trick
- How to Play the 12-Bar Blues On Ukulele
- How to Play the Calypso Strum on Ukulele
- Knowing When to Change Chords While Strumming a Song
- Learn the “Boom-Chicka” Country & Bluegrass Strum
- Master the Bb Chord on Ukulele With These 3 Easy Steps
- Overcome These 3 Biggest Bm Chord Challenges on Ukulele
- Ukulele Strumming Patterns for Beginners
Figure out how to begin to fingerpick the ukulele.
- Ukulele Fingerpicking Lesson: How to Play “Hallelujah”
- 3 Easy Songs You Can Fingerpick on Ukulele Today
- Ukulele Blues Fingerpicking Lesson for Beginners: Pattern #1
- Ukulele Blues Fingerpicking Lesson for Beginners: Pattern #2
- You Must Master These Four Things to Arrange Chord Melody Songs
Music Theory Lessons
Uncover music theory on ukulele.
- The Best Way to Transpose a Song
- Discover Ukulele Chord Theory Making G Major Triads Across the Fretboard
- How to Read Ukulele Tabs
- Major, Minor, Diminished & Augmented Chords Explained
- Start Reading Music in 30 Minutes or Less
- Ukulele Scales Explained for Beginners
- Uncovering Connections Between Musical Notes, Ukulele Frets and Piano Keys
- Using Your Baritone Ukulele to Follow Along with My Standard-Tuned Lessons
Explore the notes of ukulele fretboard and see how to play scales.
Please start by learning the C major scale first.
- Learn Ukulele Major Scale Theory and Build a C Major Scale
- Ukulele Scales: How to Play C Major Scale Position #1 on Ukulele
- Ukulele Scales: How to Play C Major Scale Position #2 on Ukulele
- Ukulele Scales: How to Play C Major Scale Position #3 on Ukulele
- Ukulele Scales: How to Play C Major Scale Position #4 on Ukulele
- Ukulele Scales: How to Play C Major Scale Position #5 on Ukulele
- How to Play a C Major Scale on Ukulele
- How to Play a G Major Scale on Ukulele
- How to Play an F Major Scale on Ukulele
Performance & Practice Tips
Get tips and tricks for practicing and performing.
- How to Practice Ukulele When 15 Minutes is All You Have
- How to Sing and Play Ukulele at the Same Time
- What To Do When Practice Isn’t Fun and You Feel Stuck
Christmas Song Lessons
Learn how to play Christmas songs in multiple styles on the ukulele.
- How to Fingerpick “Good King Wenceslas” on Ukulele
- How to Fingerpick “Silent Night” on Ukulele
- Learn “Away In a Manger” Played in Solo Fingerstyle (Chord Melody)
- Learn to Fingerpick “Jingle Bells”
- Learn “Jolly Old Saint Nicholas” Played in Solo Fingerstyle (Chord Melody)
- Learn to Strum “We Wish You a Merry Christmas”
Last updated on April 22, 2021.